I have to agree with Steve.   Very often articles like this are not very
accurate or scientific.

But I do know that checkers programs hit their endgame databases in the
openings and that Chinook is "very close" to perfect play.

They have probably constructed an opening book by trial and error that
does not get them into losing positions.    They have huge end game
databases and now they are probably building huge opening databases that
only include non-lost positions.   In order to play a perfect game they
need only to store 1 response for the computer, although they need all
the responses for the opponent.   However this still severely limits the
number of positions the computer has to have perfect scores for.

Because of their massive end game databases, they probably don't have to
go but a few ply into the game with the opening book in order to get to
a position they can solve brute force style.

- Don