thanks, that's an excellent synopsis of what happened.

i should have looked for the article,

s.

----- Original Message ----
From: terry mcintyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: computer-go <computer-go@computer-go.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2007 4:31:03 PM
Subject: Re: [computer-go] Draughts / Checkers solved

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/jul07/5379 seems to be a fairly decent article
about the Chinook
teams' solving of the Checkers game.

To recap, they built an endgame database which has all board positions with 10
or fewer pieces. Once you reach the endgame database, you no longer expand the
tree; the solution is known.

Start from the root of the tree, one uses best-first search to narrow the
search to those positions which are in the endgame database.

"Of the 5 x
                1020 possible positions,
                Schaeffer needed to evaluate only
                1014 to prove that checkers,
                played perfectly, results in a draw."

Terry McIntyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
They mean to govern well; but they mean to govern. They promise to be kind
masters; but they mean to be masters. -- Daniel Webster