On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 08:54 -0700, Peter Drake wrote:

> I was planning to teach Japanese rules (because that's what the books
> use).

Most of the books say nothing at all about how to handle disputes.  They
teach an informal territory ruleset.  That's a major flaw in the books
that should not be repeated.

I don't think it matters at all if you teach area scoring rules, since
pretty much everything taught in the books can be applied to area
scoring.

I think you should teach both area scoring and territory scoring.  Area
scoring first because it is simple and can be played without agreeing to
dead stones, and territory scoring once they have some games under their
belt.  Show that they are essentially equivalent to within a point.

> I got the sense from the earlier messages in this list that the virtual
> playout is not ad hoc.

The earlier messages appear to be a mix of informal Japanese rules and
official 1989 rules, the latter being the "tortured details".  David
Fotland talks about an informal procedure where you play it out and then
restore, but this is not practical and also doesn't really work, which
I've debated on this list before:

http://computer-go.org/pipermail/computer-go/2006-March/005019.html

Nick Wedd is talking about the 1989 rules (tortured details), which if
you're teaching beginners I recommend running away from at light speed.

-Jeff