I think Heikki makes a valid point here. I am not a particularly strong player (about 1-2 dan european), but I have learned that playing defensively is generally detrimental to the final result, whereas taking the initiative is more likely to lead to a win. If moves close to the existing position are given much greater weight than those further away, this may result in more defensive play than otherwise.

During much of the game, most moves between human players, even at professional level, are played near to the previous move. So considering all moves near to the last played move is likely to increase the probablility of selecting the best move. This could be the factor that is currently resulting in more wins where the 3-4-5 rule is applied.

However, there are times when the best move is most definitely not in the vicinity of the previous one, and a strong player will 'tenuki' - i.e. leave that part of the position to play something more important elsewhere - an urgent invasion on the other side of the board for example. If computer go programmes are to become truly strong they will need to have a way to emulate this kind of approach.

In my (limited) opinion, the 3-4-5 rule may result in a short-term gain, but will require refinement in due course to allow for what human players might call creativity.

Paul

Dec 30, 2008 11:56:58 PM, computer-go@computer-go.org wrote:

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 12:25:10AM +0100, Rémi Coulom wrote:

> If you'd like to try a simple pruning scheme that improves playing
> strength on 19x19, then I'd suggest progressive widening. It only works
> in the tree, not in the playouts. You don't need complex patterns for
> progressive widening to work. You can simply use distance to the
> previous move. Search moves at distance 1 from the previous move for N
> playouts. Then add moves at distance 2 for N*x playouts. Moves at
> distance 3 for N*x*x.

So, you'd be playing like a beginner, with a local answer to every move the
opponent makes. Never taking sente to play elsewhere. Sounds like a receipe
for a disaster to me. But then again, I am only a kyu-level player, so I may
be wrong...

 -H

--
Heikki Levanto   "In Murphy We Turst"     heikki (at) lsd (dot) dk