On Wed, 2008-12-31 at 14:45 +0100, Heikki Levanto wrote:
> Of course a clever player who
> knows about this can direct the game so that he ends with a moyo,
> where the
> optimal reduction move does not get considered. That sounds tricky,
> and the
> advantage from such is slight, he can be a tiny bit more confident of
> keeping
> his moyo...

A player sophisticated enough to even think about doing this is way
beyond the level of a simple reference bot using this strategy in the
playouts.    In fact, even trying to win like this would probably weaken
him a little.  Why go to the trouble when it's so easy to win other
ways?   I would love it if my much stronger opponents were to try to get
clever on me when they didn't have to.

Like this same chess master told me,  keep it simple, don't get too
clever when you don't have to.