Aha, got it!

Thanks.

Peter Drake
http://www.lclark.edu/~drake/

On Jul 5, 2009, at 10:17 PM, David Fotland wrote:

Between moves, I find the nodes that can be recycled and put them on a free list. If the free list is empty I do a very short search, then give up.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: computer-go-boun...@computer-go.org [mailto:computer-go-
boun...@computer-go.org] On Behalf Of Peter Drake
Sent: Sunday, July 05, 2009 9:42 PM
To: computer-go
Subject: Re: [computer-go] Hash tables

On Jul 5, 2009, at 9:05 PM, David Fotland wrote:

The hash table contains a linked list of nodes with the same hash

Okay, I've almost got it.

If you're hashing by chaining, you presumably go to the appropriate
slot in the table, then traverse the (short) linked list of nodes
hanging from that slot. If the node you want isn't present, though,
you have to find another node you can overwrite, presumably from
another chain in the hash table. How do you find such a node without a
lengthy search?

I actually have fewer total nodes than you do. The commercial version
allocates 30K nodes per CPU core.  The version in the world
championship had
much more, but the commercial version can't be that greedy for memory.

That's reassuring.

Peter Drake
http://www.lclark.edu/~drake/