e) use a knowledge system that knows what good moves look to prune or bias
the moves when way ahead or way behind.  This is what many Faces does.

David

From: computer-go-boun...@computer-go.org
[mailto:computer-go-boun...@computer-go.org] On Behalf Of
dhillism...@netscape.net
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2009 9:54 AM
To: computer-go@computer-go.org
Subject: Re: [computer-go] Re: Dynamic komi in commercial programs

There are 3 commonly cited problems and 4 commonly proposed remedies.
Problems:
1) Human games remain interesting, even after the winner is clear, because
the players just naturally switch to playing for maximum territory. Wouldn't
MCTS bots be more fun to play against if they did that too?
2) Sometimes a bot has a win by a small margin, but thinks it's a win by a
big margin (because it is misreading a seki or whatever). Consequently, the
bot neglects to defend the space that matters and loses after all.
3) For a big enough handicap, the bot plays random, ugly looking moves in
the beginning. Can't that be improved?
Remedies:
a) Play for maximum territory sometimes.
b) Fake the Komi sometimes.
c) Unbalance the playout strength sometimes.
d) Worry about more important things.
The vagueness in the "sometimes" part doesn't help in deciding which remedy
is best for which problem.

Looking at the handicap problem alone, how can I pick the best remedy and
justify my decision? Maybe I could take my engine at a reasonable time
setting and experiment with all the remedies to try to find the highest
handicap I can give Wally and still win 50% of the games.

- Dave Hillis

  _____

A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See
<http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377098x1201454399/aol?redir=htt
p://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26bcd=Jul
ystepsfooterNO62>  yours in just 2 easy steps!