The largest nakade shape is the rabbity six. My wild guess would be to outlaw self-atari for groups of 7+ stones.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 5, 2009, at 11:10 PM, Peter Drake <dr...@lclark.edu> wrote:

On Aug 5, 2009, at 6:15 PM, Brian Sheppard wrote:

Pebbles has the same ko rules as Orego, but it doesn't have the same
search behavior.

If Orego rejects self-atari moves of large strings, then the left
side should become a seki almost always. If you are seeing 60% wins
then something must be wrong there.

There's the rub. I should implement that.

What's your threshold for "large"? Do you absolutely reject such moves, or just penalize them?

Another possibility is Orego's handling of transpositions. There are
only 16 points that could possibly vary (again, assuming self-atari
processing) so the position is almost bounded.

Peter Drake
http://www.lclark.edu/~drake/