On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 5:51 AM, Folkert van Heusden
<folk...@vanheusden.com>wrote:

> >> What is superko?
> >> My program keeps a list of all board-positions and then if it whants to
> >> do a move it checks if the new board-position is in the list. If so, it
> >> throws that move away. Are there other checks I need to do as well?
> >
> > Superko involves repeating a previous board position.  Various forms of
> > this are forbidden by various rulesets, see
> > http://www.britgo.org/rules/compare.html#threeKK
> > What you are doing ensures that your program will never violate any form
> > of the rule.
>
> Ah ok!
> Odd is though that CGOS complains about Illegal KO attempted.

Many time CGOS has been accused of calling a move illegal that wasn't - due
to the KO rule.

But so far it has never once been wrong when closely inspected.   So I
challenge you to show me a position where CGOS got this rule wrong!   I'll
give you a small monetary prize if you can :-)    Just give the CGOS game
number.

Please note that the KO rule CGOS uses does NOT consider side to move.   For
example if the same exact board configuration repeats that has occurred
previously,  it is a positional superko violation regardless of which color
is to move.  Note that this is different than repetition in chess, where the
same side must be on the move before consider the position as repeated.

Also please note that when you play go there are other ways to define what a
KO violation is.   Players must agree to use the same rules when you sit
down to play any game.    CGOS uses the "positional superko"  KO rule but
it's also possible to play a game of go with the "situational superko" rule
defined - which DOES take into consider the side to move.

You can find disscussions on situational vs positional superko in the
archives and on the web in other places - essentially there are some who
feel the situational rule is more correct and more fundamental.   I agree
and I consider positional superko a slight complication (although by
definition it is slighly simpler.)   However, even though I feel that way,
I chose positional superko for CGOS because I think it is more standard and
accepted.

- Don