David Fotland wrote:
> Well I have no idea how much I gained from this.  It might be weaker than
> what everyone else is doing, since it seems I didn't implement this as it's
> been described recently.  My progressive widening only uses Rave values.
> It's very simple.  Others seem to have much more complex schemes.  But I
> don't think I implement Rave like others do either.

Hi David,
Earlier in the thread you said: "I start with one move, and slowly add
moves to the pool of moves to be considered, ... Many Faces
is a pretty good heuristic for selecting good moves, so if you are just
using RAVE to do move ordering you might need to widen faster."

But above you say: "My progressive widening only uses Rave values." ?

Yamato was asking why it works at all. My understanding of the
progressive widening idea was to use some pattern/expert knowledge
information to guide the early MCTS, to stop it wasting lots of playouts
on silly moves. And/or to make it choose more solid (better shape) moves
when lots of moves have similar winning percentages [1]. Is that how you
see it helping too?

Darren

[1]:
Also in this thread, David wrote:
"I think it's more that Many Faces values moves that have good long-term
consequences that the search can't find, so among moves with similar win
rates, it will choose the ones Many Faces prefers."

http://dcook.org/gobet/  (Shodan Go Bet - who will win?)
http://dcook.org/mlsn/ (Multilingual open source semantic network)