In 2008 Many Faces was getting about 25k light playouts per second on 19x19.
Today it gets 2500 playouts per second on one thread of an i7-3770.  I don’t
use a probability distribution in the UCT tree.  I both count liberties and
maintain lists of liberty points, but all incrementally.  In the playouts I use
3x3 patterns with gammas like Crazystone, not just the Mogo patterns, but I
only do a partial distribution.  I also do local ladder searches and many other
local tactics things.

David