On 17.01.2016 05:33, "Ingo Althöfer" wrote:
Seki means a constellation on the go board with two
living neighboring groups: one by Black, the other one
by White. Each of the groups has only one eye. And
they share a joint liberty.

Seki has AT LEAST two groups. Sekis can have various different shapes incl. such with unreducable three shared inside liberties per pair of groups, major strings having only 1 liberty (hane seki), or multiple kos. Do not overlook the stable anti-sekis (stable because other anti-sekis exist elsewhere on the board). Listing the possible configurations is a demanding open research field.

My question: How frequent are Seki constellations?

This very greatly depends on which player population is observed. On KGS, sekis are frequent. Among Japanese professionals (for which I counted sekis for an unrepresentative sample from the second half of the 20th century), sekis occur only once in ca. every 70th game. I think sekis are not so scarce among Chinese and Korean professionals. Apparently long playing time combined with great playing strength avoids sekis. Short thinking time with relatively great playing strength (amateur dans on KGS) seeks seki as a reasonable compromise in unreasonable fights.

***

If you want to study seki configurations, the best is to do theoretical research. If you want many ordinary sekis in actual games, take KGS samples.

--
robert jasiek