Congratulations!

What I find most impressive is the engineering effort, combining so many different parts, which even standalone would be a strong program.

I think the design philosophy of using 3 different sources of "go playing" strength is great in it self (and if you read the paper there are a lot of old school computer go programming expetise used as well). I think we oft get stuck trying to perfect one module when perhaps what we need is a new module that improves search effectively on a different scale. I have not time and resources to do neural networks learning, but for my new program I would like to experimentwith using patterns on many levels, and this is inspiring.

Magnus Persson

On 2016-01-27 19:46, Aja Huang wrote:
Hi all,

We are very excited to announce that our Go program, AlphaGo, has
beaten a professional player for the first time. AlphaGo beat the
European champion Fan Hui by 5 games to 0. We hope you enjoy our
paper, published in Nature today. The paper and all the games can be
found here:

http://www.deepmind.com/alpha-go.html [1]

AlphaGo will be competing in a match against Lee Sedol in Seoul, this
March, to see whether we finally have a Go program that is stronger
than any human!

Aja

PS I am very busy preparing AlphaGo for the match, so apologies in
advance if I cannot respond to all questions about AlphaGo.

Links:
------
[1] http://www.deepmind.com/alpha-go.html