I also expected bootstrapping by self-play. (I also wrote a post to that
effect. But of course, DeepMind actually DID IT.)

But I didn't envision any of the other stuff. This is why I love their papers.
Papers from most sources are predictable, skimpy, and sketchy, but theirs
contain all sorts of deep insights that I never saw coming. And the theory,
architecture, implementation, and explanation are all first-rate. It's like the
Poker papers from U Alberta, or the source code for Stockfish. Lessons on every
line.

Regarding Elo deltas: the length of Go games obscures what might be very small
differences. E.g., if one player's moves are 3% more likely to be game-losing
errors, then won't that player lose nearly every game? That is, 3 more
"blunders" per game.

Regarding these details: at some level, all of these *must* be artifacts of
training. That is, the NN architectures that did "badly" are still
asymptotically optimal, so they should also eventually play equally well,
provided that training continues indefinitely, and the network are large
enough, and parameters do not freeze prematurely, and training eventually uses
only self-play data, etc. I believe that is mathematically accurate, so I would
ask a different question: why do those choices make better use of resources in
the short run?

I have no idea; I'm just asking.