About the fact that ladders appeared so late:

- The learning was based on self-play. Understanding ladders is perhaps not
so important if your opponent doesn't understand them either... Every time
a decisive ladder appears on the board, the result is practically a coin
toss.

- And as others have pointed out, unlike almost all other go features,
ladders are not at all a local feature. The features need to build up
through a huge number of convolution layers, before it works. And it's
difficult to build this understanding incrementally (unlike e.g. life &
death where you can start with simple cases and then move to more difficult
cases), so we lack bias to direct the learning to the right direction.