Yes, it seems really odd that they didn't add a plane of all ones. The
"heads" have weights that depend on the location of the board, but all the
other layers can't tell the difference between a lonely stone at (1,1) and
one at (3,3).

In my own experiments (trying to predict human moves) I found that 3 inputs
worked well: signed liberties, age capped at 8, all ones. I think of the
number of liberties as a key part of the game mechanics, so I don't think
it detracts from the purity of the approach, and it's probably helpful for
learning about life and death.

Álvaro.