I am pretty sure it is an MCTS problem and I suspect not something that
could be easily solved with a policy network (could be wrong hree). My
opinon is that DCNN is not
a miracle worker (as somebody already mentioned here) and it is going to
fail  resolving tactics.  I would be more than happy with it if it has same
power as a qsearch to be honest.

Search traps are the major problem with games like Chess, and what makes
transitioning the success of DCNN from Go to Chess non trivial.
The following paper discusses shallow traps that are prevalent in chess. (
https://www.aaai.org/ocs/index.php/ICAPS/ICAPS10/paper/download/1458/1571 )
They mention traps make MCTS very inefficient.  Even if the MCTS is given
50x more time is needed by an exhaustive minimax tree, it could fail to
find a level-5 or level-7 trap.
It will spend, f.i, 95% of its time searching an asymetric tree of depth >
7 when a shallow trap of depth-7 exists, thus, missing to find the level-7
trap.
This is very hard to solve even if you have unlimited power.

The plain MCTS as used by AlphaZero is the most ill-suited MCTS version in
my opinion and i have hard a hard time seeing how it can be competitive
with Stockfish tactically.

My MCTS chess engine with  AlphaZero like MCTS was averaging was missing a
lot of tactics. I don't use policy or eval networks but qsearch() for eval,
and the policy is basically
choosing which ever moves leads to a higher eval.

a) My first improvement to the MCTS is to use minimax backups instead of
averaging. This was an improvmenet but not something that would solve the
traps

b) My second improvment is to use alphabeta rollouts. This is a rollouts
version that can do nullmove and LMR etc... This is a huge improvment and
none of the MCTS
versons can match it. More on alpha-beta rollouts here (
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/huang_rollout.pdf
)

So AlphaZero used none of the above improvements and yet it seems to be
tactically strong. Leela-Zero suffered from tactical falls left and right
too as I expected.

So the only explanation left is the policy network able to avoid traps
which I find hard to believe it can identify more than a qsearch level
tactics.

All I am saying is that my experience (as well as many others) with MCTS
for tactical dominated games is bad, and there must be some breakthrough in
that regard in AlphaZero
for it to be able to compete with Stockfish on a tactical level.

I am curious how Remi's attempt at Shogi using AlphaZero's method will
turnout.

regards,
Daniel