From: Computer-go [mailto:computer-go-boun...@computer-go.org] On Behalf Of
Darren Cook
Sent: Thursday, March 8, 2018 6:16 AM
To: computer-go@computer-go.org
Subject: Re: [Computer-go] On proper naming

> but then it does not make sense to call that algorithm "rollout".
>
> In general: when introducing a new name, care should be taken that the
> name describes properly what is going on.

Speaking of which, why did people start calling them rollouts instead of
playouts?

Darren

P.S. And don't get me started on "chains": at one point this seemed to be the
standard term for a solidly connected set of stones, the basic unit of tactical
search (as distinguished from a "group", which is made up of 1+ chains). But
then somewhere along the way people started calling them strings.