Hi Mikko,

Welcome to the list.

> 1. On single-point eye detection: how is this generally done? I first used
> the definition that we have a single-point eye if a point has only our
> stones as neighbours and at most 1 diagonal neighbour is not our stone if
> in the middle of the board or that all diagonal neighbours are ours if on
> the edge of the board. This was however very slow, and when I replaced my
> definition with the definition found in Pachi(all neighbouring stones must
> be ours, at most 1 enemy stone is our diagonal neighbour if in the middle
> of the board and none if at the edge of the board) I get 4x the amount of
> playouts with longer games. Which one is the correct one, or is something
> else?

Pachi's definition looks correct to me. There are a few rare exceptions to
this definition but it should work well in general.

2. On playouts: How many light playouts per second on 9x9/19x19 on a single
> thread is considered fast nowadays?

The fastest programs got roughly 80k-100k pure random games per sec on 9x9,
and 5k-10k on 19x19, depending on the speed of the CPU.

> 3. On GTP-protocol and final_score: How do you score a board where the
> game hasn't ended(i.e. there are moves left which are legal and don't kill
> off our groups)? Almost all scoring methods require that dead stones are
> removed, and I can't figure out how to do that easily. Or do you just
> assume everything on the board is alive?

Check out Tromp-Taylor Rules

http://senseis.xmp.net/?LogicalRules

Aja