I saw this the other week on a laptop that had a defective power cable adapter. The laptop would operate on AC power but failed to charge the battery resulting in the low battery warnings. Removed the (incorrect) adapter from the circuit and it worked great.

Is the battery being charged?

Richard P.

My desktop computer recently began displaying a message that my battery power is weak and advises to switch to AC power. I am connected to AC power. The message comes from Windows XP, I think.

What causes the message?
I am connected to AC power thru a battery backup that comes on when AC power is interrupted. Could this be the problem?