1a. Re: Conlang Profanity
    From: Don
1b. Re: Conlang Profanity
    From: Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews
1c. Re: Conlang Profanity
    From: Anaïs Ahmed
1d. Re: Conlang Profanity
    From: Padraic Brown
1e. Re: Conlang Profanity
    From: Tony Harris
1f. Re: Conlang Profanity
    From: Emanuelo Arbaro
1g. Re: Conlang Profanity
    From: Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
1h. Re: Conlang Profanity
    From: Allison Swenson

2a. Re: Expressing irony/sarcasm morphologically (was: Re: Fwd: "Even if
    From: George Corley

3a. Yingdilah
    From: Martin Hasani

1a. Re: Conlang Profanity
    Posted by: "Don" librarian....@gmail.com
    Date: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:29 pm ((PDT))

Thanks for the info.

The "multi-purpose swear word" concept is not unheard of in conlangs. Klingon
seems to have some of these all-purpose untranslatable words:
http://www.khemorex-klinzhai.de/Hol/mix/curses.html

Don

On Jul 28, 2013, at 7:04 PM, Nina-Kristine Johnson <ninakristi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hiya!
>
> 'Ay pæško!' is 'Oh..[enter expletive, here]!'
>
> P*æško* means either S***, F***, H***. Its a multi-purpose swear word.
>
> The *-a* is a short *a* sound. (Pa-sh-koh)
>
> I also have (might be unlisted in my glossary, though): *Ka*š*itų* (*
> Kah-shee-too* or Ba****) and *Beina* (*Bay-ee-nah* or B***h).
>
> Tisala-e! (Cheers!),
> Kristine
>

> On 28 July 2013 13:56, Don Boozer <librarian....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm writing a review of Holy Sh*t: A Brief History of Swearing by Melissa
>> Mohr (published by Oxford Univ Press, 2013) for Fiat Lingua (
>> http://fiatlingua.org). However, as part of that review I'm planning on
>> looking at it's implications and uses for constructing languages, worlds,
>> and cultures. And, as part of that, swearing in existing conlangs (both
>> well known (e.g., Esperanto, Dothraki) and personal ones).
>>
>> With that, if anyone would like to share any profanity, vulgarisms, "vain
>> oaths", etc., that they have included in their conlangs or con-cultures, I
>> would be happy to hear about them. If anyone is familiar with Esperanto
>> swearing, that would be interesting as well. I've dug around on the web and
>> on the Conlang-L archives, but it doesn't appear there is an overabundance
>> of people willing to talk about this area of conlanging (or at least hasn't
>> been for a few years).
>>
>> The article is due on Fiat Lingua for Sept. 1.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Don Boozer

1b. Re: Conlang Profanity
    Posted by: "Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews" goldyemo...@gmail.com