1a. Re: Censorship was Re:Conlang Profanity
    From: Garth Wallace
1b. Re: Censorship was Re:Conlang Profanity
    From: Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews
1c. Re: Censorship was Re:Conlang Profanity
    From: Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews
1d. Re: Censorship was Re:Conlang Profanity
    From: Logan Kearsley
1e. Re: Censorship was Re:Conlang Profanity
1a. Re: Censorship was Re:Conlang Profanity
    Posted by: "Garth Wallace" gwa...@gmail.com
    Date: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:47 pm ((PDT))

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews
<goldyemo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just had a thought. If Yemora is uncensored, would there really be such a
> thing as profane language? Oh, dragon dung would only be profane in a
> censored society, wouldn't it?

I think there's no such thing as a censored language. Censorship is
something that happens to utterances or written texts.

    Posted by: "Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews" goldyemo...@gmail.com
    Date: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:26 pm ((PDT))

So it would be mora bout the appropriateness of words and phrases.

Mellissa Green

@GreenNovelist

    Date: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:28 pm ((PDT))

But then since Yemorans learn that our society is censorship, how would that
be explained? Would they know it as an appropriateness upgrade, especially
since the law is involved?

With all kinds of music except vocals, being illegal, does that make it
censored?

Mellissa Green

@GreenNovelist

    Posted by: "Logan Kearsley" chronosur...@gmail.com
    Date: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:15 pm ((PDT))

On 29 July 2013 15:28, Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews
<goldyemo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But then since Yemorans learn that our society is censorship, how would that
> be explained? Would they know it as an appropriateness upgrade, especially
> since the law is involved?

Why does it have to be explained? It could just be a totally empty
statement of political ideology. "They censor things; censorship is
bad; we are good; therefore, our world is uncensored (pay no attention
to the prohibitions behind the curtain."
It doesn't actually mean anything, it's just nice propaganda....

> With all kinds of music except vocals, being illegal, does that make it
> censored?

That does sound like censorship to me.

-l.

    Date: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:26 pm ((PDT))

Hmm.Then, that's the only thing censored.

I love that wizard of oz spin in your response.

Mellissa Green

@GreenNovelist

<goldyemo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But then since Yemorans learn that our society is censorship, how would that
> be explained? Would they know it as an appropriateness upgrade, especially
> since the law is involved?

Why does it have to be explained? It could just be a totally empty
statement of political ideology. "They censor things; censorship is
bad; we are good; therefore, our world is uncensored (pay no attention
to the prohibitions behind the curtain."
It doesn't actually mean anything, it's just nice propaganda....

> With all kinds of music except vocals, being illegal, does that make it
> censored?

That does sound like censorship to me.

-l.

2a. Re: Conlang Profanity
    Posted by: "Mechthild Czapp" rejista...@me.com
    Date: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:48 pm ((PDT))

Rejistanis love to curse with terms like Itva and Slani (both mean failure, but
slani is considered worse), selme (debts or indebted, because Rejistania had a
history of debt slavery). Rejistanian culture is rather communal so approval
within a community is important. Rejistanian curses often imply that this is no
longer the case. There is also the deprecative prefix mer whose history is
still unclear.

Am 28.07.2013 um 21:56 schrieb Don Boozer <librarian....@gmail.com>:

> I'm writing a review of Holy Sh*t: A Brief History of Swearing by Melissa
> Mohr (published by Oxford Univ Press, 2013) for Fiat Lingua (
> http://fiatlingua.org). However, as part of that review I'm planning on
> looking at it's implications and uses for constructing languages, worlds,
> and cultures. And, as part of that, swearing in existing conlangs (both
> well known (e.g., Esperanto, Dothraki) and personal ones).
>
> With that, if anyone would like to share any profanity, vulgarisms, "vain
> oaths", etc., that they have included in their conlangs or con-cultures, I
> would be happy to hear about them. If anyone is familiar with Esperanto
> swearing, that would be interesting as well. I've dug around on the web and
> on the Conlang-L archives, but it doesn't appear there is an overabundance
> of people willing to talk about this area of conlanging (or at least hasn't
> been for a few years).
>
> The article is due on Fiat Lingua for Sept. 1.
>
> Thanks,
> Don Boozer

3a. Re: 2 Asirkan proverbs:
    Posted by: "Scar Cvxni" jeviscac...@gmail.com
    Date: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:06 pm ((PDT))

@Elsa it'd be cool if there were some kind of app that let you draw letters
and then incorporate them into a keyboard. Business idea, perhaps? ;)

On 29 July 2013 20:44, Elsa Nilaj <elsanila...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is good! Keep it up, you're doing great :) I would share some meanings
> of my own language but there are no letters on the keyboard that can let me
> write them....
>

> On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM, Scott Villanueva-Hlad
> <scotth...@telus.net>wrote:
>
> > Het gamgoram  ohat euliekicom  sośutucia or vamysdi.
> >
> > [the cougar must].accusative [must feed].verb [(the one who)
> > lives].participle [in].preposition [(the) forest].noun
> >
> > Translation: He who lives in the forest must feed the cougar.
> >

> > Ńette syśetory laloutcia ailet.
> >
> > Little.adverb announce.verb.perfective say.participle.imperfective
> > much.adverb
> >
> > Translation: He who talks much says little.

3b. Re: 2 Asirkan proverbs:
    Posted by: "Douglas Koller" douglaskol...@hotmail.com