Life gets even more complicated.  As Burke, Magliococca (the best source, a recent article in Pittsburg) and I ("Federalists or Friends of Adams") have pointed out, there was nothing to enforce until the Georgia court deliberately refused to obey the order in Worcester.  What would happen then was an open legal question.  best guess.  The Cherokee cases were a hot issue in 1832.  if Whigs win the election, they enforce the decree, if they do not Marshall winds up saying that it is not judicially enforceable.

Mark A. Graber
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 10/31/03 11:22PM >>>
The quotation is attributed Andrew Jackson in the wake of the decision in
Worcester v. Georgia.  It may be mythical.