        From: Keith E. Whittington [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Wed 10/1/2003 2:40 PM
        To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject: Re: Presidents and the Court

        That would be Andrew Jackson in response to Worcester v. Georgia, and it is
generally regarded as apocryphal (though somewhat consistent with other things that he
did say, predicting that such a decision would be unenforceable).  He did write in a
letter, "the decision of the supreme court has fell still born and they find it cannot
coerce Georgia to yield to its mandate."  For discussion, see Charles Warren, The
Supreme Court in United States History, and Richard Longaker, "Andrew Jackson and the
Judiciary," Political Science Quarterly (1956).

        Keith Whittington