>> marc> I read the post about Mdk 9.2 and LG on mandrakeusers.org. I
>> have cd-rw drive, marc> model HL-DT-ST GCE 8400b and I have Mdk 9.2rc2
>> running. There are no problems marc> with my LG drive
>>
>> 21mdk just updated (vdanen should be doing the official update) fixes
>> that problem.  Only LG plain CD-ROMS are affected.
>>
>> Later, Juan.
>>
>> PD. Yep, whoeved decided at LG that reusing for UPLOAD_FIRMAWARE
>> command FLUSH_CACHE comand should be shoot.  Twice.
>
> SO it turns out to be a firmware bug after all that.  I really hope you
> guys  don't take the heat for this in the court of public opinion.

/. posted a really badly researched post on this (with a bad title too),
but it seems public opinion is that hardware shouldn't be vulnerable.

It wouldn't hurt though to have an official position sent to /., I think
they should reasonably update the summary to indicate that this is a
hardware issue that would also affect other users, and hopefully push the
availability of updates and how to use them.

Regards,
Buchan