On Sunday 26 Oct 2003 01:03, Greg Meyer wrote:

> > marc> I read the post about Mdk 9.2 and LG on mandrakeusers.org. I have
> > cd-rw drive, marc> model HL-DT-ST GCE 8400b and I have Mdk 9.2rc2
> > running. There are no problems marc> with my LG drive
> >
> > 21mdk just updated (vdanen should be doing the official update) fixes
> > that problem.  Only LG plain CD-ROMS are affected.
> >
> > Later, Juan.
> >
> > PD. Yep, whoeved decided at LG that reusing for UPLOAD_FIRMAWARE
> > command FLUSH_CACHE comand should be shoot.  Twice.
>
> SO it turns out to be a firmware bug after all that.  I really hope you
> guys don't take the heat for this in the court of public opinion.

Yes, it is a firmware bug, and yes, the LG drives are responsible for this.
But, it is Mandrakes own fault that this happens. If you take beta / heavy
modified kernels instead of kernels that have been tested by the entire linux
community, you can expect things like these to happen. True, strange that
this bug was able to tunnel trough all RCs, but this once again proves that
it's better to use the entire linux community as testers instead of a few
beta testers, i.e. use only stock kernels.

Mandrake is not a linux distribution known for stability, let's please take
stability as top priority for Mandrake 10.0. This way Mandrake will get the
good name that belongs to such a cool distribution.

Jos