On Sunday 26 October 2003 09:51, Jos wrote:

> > > marc> I read the post about Mdk 9.2 and LG on mandrakeusers.org.
> > > I have cd-rw drive, marc> model HL-DT-ST GCE 8400b and I have Mdk
> > > 9.2rc2 running. There are no problems marc> with my LG drive
> > >
> > > 21mdk just updated (vdanen should be doing the official update)
> > > fixes that problem.  Only LG plain CD-ROMS are affected.
> > >
> > > Later, Juan.
> > >
> > > PD. Yep, whoeved decided at LG that reusing for UPLOAD_FIRMAWARE
> > > command FLUSH_CACHE comand should be shoot.  Twice.
> >
> > SO it turns out to be a firmware bug after all that.  I really hope
> > you guys don't take the heat for this in the court of public
> > opinion.
>
> Yes, it is a firmware bug, and yes, the LG drives are responsible for
> this. But, it is Mandrakes own fault that this happens. If you take
> beta / heavy modified kernels instead of kernels that have been
> tested by the entire linux community, you can expect things like
> these to happen. True, strange that this bug was able to tunnel
> trough all RCs, but this once again proves that it's better to use
> the entire linux community as testers instead of a few beta testers,
> i.e. use only stock kernels.

We should drop support for all hardware not in the kernel ?
To give a example, my usb modem, and so we should let the newbies patch
their own kernel.

Yes why not. After all, they will not know how to do this, but, if they
want something that simply works, they should take windows instead.

This is simply not the way mandrake works. If you want a default kernel,
you can take the kernel-marcelo package. If you want something with 6
month of test on a 3 years old kernel, take debian.

And now imagine this : we use stock kernel as all distibution in the
world, and this bug now remains undiscovered. It will be here for 3
years, fry some cd readers, but, since they do not have anything in
common, all people just say that lg drive are crap. and the bug
continue to fry cdrom drive for years.

In fact, since nobody would expect a kernel to fry a cdrom drive, i
think that no one would have fill a bug report. It may even remain
undiscovered until kernel 4.2, when ide will maybe no longer supported.

I have 3 dead drives, and one of them simply stop working one day (
creative dvd ). Maybe it was something like this. Maybe not.

What if the patch goes in the main stream kernel, and the bug still
remains undiscovered, for the same reason  ? It will do more harm. But
since no newbie will ever post on lkml to say 'kernel fried my cdrom
drive', it will not be discovered. Or not in 1 week. Maybe one year,
until one distro ship a kernel and people start complaining.

So, using stock kernel wouldn't have change anything.

I do not know if the error is recoverable ( ie reflashing the firmware
), but, this is clearly not a problem on mandrake side.
They have done more than one month testing, and the bug passed all RC
and betas. In fact, maybe someone fried his drive and think it burned
because it worked too long.

All i hope is that LG give updated firmware, and instruction on how to
recover the disk.

> Mandrake is not a linux distribution known for stability, let's
> please take stability as top priority for Mandrake 10.0. This way
> Mandrake will get the good name that belongs to such a cool
> distribution.

And so, what do you propose ?
To have a 3 month freeze period ?
To use one year old software ?

We do as much as we can for stability, but, as you have seen, some bugs
remains undiscovered even with 4 or 5 beta releases. And i do not think
that adding 10 releases would really help.

--

Michaël Scherer