* on the Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 06:33:35PM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

>>> You are running a hacked version of courier-imap, since courier-imap does
>>> not attempt to create directories on login.
>> JOOI. Is there a reason that this isn't an option in the official
>> codebase? I'd have thought it was a quite useful option...
> You'll reconsider your thoughts after some stupid glitch causes your NFS
> mounts to fail, and then the server begins to create random mailboxes on
> the local disk, and generally screw up everyone's mail clients.

I don't quite understand your logic. It seems to me that you're suggesting
the option hasn't been added for anyone to use, simply due to the existance
of NFS...

What about the people not using NFS, ie the majority?

What about the people using NFS, that are aware of the issues of network
file systems but want it configured this way anyway?

As a solution to preventing the accidental creation of mailboxes on the
local disk, why not mount a read only partition underneath the nfs mount, or
set up restrictive filesystem permissions?

Mike