Andy Shellam (Mailing Lists) wrote:

>>> A couple of things are swaying me away from Fam at the moment:
>>> 1. Firstly, the latest version was released in November 2003 - there
>>> doesn't seem to be any further development on it.
>> You should stop smoking crack: http://www.courier-mta.org/download.php

On RHAS4, at any rate (and therefore likely all FCs), FAM has been
replaced by gam_serv, which does what FAM did, but on a per user basis.
There's a short description of why RH went from FAM in
/usr/share/doc/gamin or whatever.

Courier IMAP needs either, as documented, if you need real time updates
on folders accessed real time by more than one client - or one client
with simultaneous connections. You can build without, but then with
reduced effect.

On this list, in the past, there's been much criticism of FAM, apart
from other things of it not working as expected (advertised). It always
worked for me, before Gamin.

> So should you!  I said a couple of things are swaying me away from *FAM*
> not Courier - I love Courier, and I am testing that latest version.
>
> ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/download/stable
>
> fam-2.7.0.tar.gz 295KB 26/11/2003
>
> AFIWA I asked a genuine question, I'd appreciate not being insulted.

Come on now, laugh out loud like the rest of us. Sam gave you Courier,
what more do you want? There's nothing in his version of your GPL that
says you shouldn't expect wisecracks. If he'd said it with a smile over
a beer, you'd have let it pass like water off a duck's back.

--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw
Email: tonni at hetnet dot nl