Mark Constable wrote:
>> That state of affairs is obviously wrong...
>
> Absolutely. A sidebar at http://www.openspf.org/SRS says...
>
>  [...] if you do check SPF, and you wish to
>  reject messages that fail SPF, then you must do one of two things
>  to avoid rejecting legitimate mail:
>
>  . whitelist forwarder IP addresses
>  . use forwarders that rewrite the sender

It is also possible to do both of them. Rather than patching an SRS
implementation into Courier, I'd be out to enhance authlib in order to
allow easier management of whitelisting: It would be enough to
overload the RELAYCLIENT feature such that after authentication,
depending on options, the sender is only allowed to send mail to a
given recipient. That way, rather than insert their host's IP into a
whitelist, you give their host an id/password pair by which you
authorize it to forward to a given mailbox only. The advantages are

* long lasting links (no changes required when IPs change,)

* single mailbox granularity, which implies

* accurate bookkeeping of who is authorized to forward what. That way,
the receiving host would have a database of incoming authorizations
mirroring the database of forwarding recipes at the senders': A doubly
linked list where we now have an unmaintainable singly linked one.

Rewriting the sender should be operated according to sender's local
policies, depending on what kind of forwarding is being operated. I
guess Sam is correct when he suggests that this ought to be done with
maildrop.