On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 09:38:16PM -0400, Elaine Ashton wrote:

> I suppose I don't understand the opposition to trimming off the
> obvious cruft on CPAN to lighten the load when BackPAN exists to
> archive them. There is already CPAN::Mini (which was created back
> when CPAN was an ever-so-tiny 1.2GB) so it's not as though
> lightening the load is a new idea or an unwelcome one.

My understanding is that CPAN::Mini is aimed more at end-users who want
to have CPAN-onna-(memory)-stick or on a laptop.  Back in 2004,
dedicating 1.2GB of laptop space was rather more significant than it is
now - my laptop at the time had something like 30GB, and that had to
include the OS and all my mp3s.  A CPAN-onna-stick was very useful at
hackathons and on train journeys.

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

I think the most difficult moment that anyone could face is seeing
their domestic servants, whether maid or drivers, run away
  -- Abdul Rahman Al-Sheikh, writing at
     http://www.arabnews.com/?article=38558