> On Sep 1, 2017, at 3:49 AM, Ask Bjørn Hansen <a...@perl.org> wrote:
>
> The Google change was the impetus to get around to it.
>
> Clients should use TLS to request content. It limits the trust for
> downloading CPAN content roughly to:
>
> - The author
> - PAUSE system maintainers
> - perl.org infrastructure maintainers
> - Fastly
> - Global CA infrastructure
>
> Without TLS you basically trust anyone with any sort of access to your
> internet connection to not muck with the code you receive.
>
> Obviously the real fix here is that clients need to request via TLS (since I
> doubt any clients other than regular browsers support HSTS).

As an (interesting?) aside, the Net::HTTP test suite just broke because of the
301 from http://www.cpan.org to https://www.cpan.org
https://github.com/libwww-perl/Net-HTTP/issues/53  Obviously that test made
some assumptions which no longer hold up.  :)  A fix has been released.  I just
point it out as an unexpected side effect of making these sorts of changes.

Olaf