-----Original Message-----
From: Arnold G. Reinhold [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2000 5:14 PM
To: lcs Mixmaster Remailer; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PGP]: PGP 6.5.2 Random Number Generator (RNG) support

> I respect Paul, but there is a matter of principle here. Crypto
> is hard enough without having to rely on trusted experts to
> verify what should simply be made public. The business case for
> Intel's RNG secrecy is weak at best. I want to make it weaker.
> As for the RNG being crammed in, who knows what will happen in
> future chips?

One thing that is probably worth pointing out is that the Intel RNG isn't
actually built into the CPU itself.  The RNG is in the motherboard chipset,
currently available on the Intel 810/820/840 chipsets.  If you have a
motherboard that does not contain the Intel 8x0 chipset then no matter what
CPU you are running, you will not have access to the Intel RNG.

Not that this changes anything about whether Intel should publish all the
specs or not, it just seems that the posts so far have not been clear and
some people may be confused.

Regards,
Jeff Gilchrist