Hi Jacob,

I just watched your 30c3 presentation on Youtube.  About halfway through you
described an exploit on Dell servers that uses the JTAG, and then asked; "Why
did Dell leave a JTAG debugging interface on these servers?”

There is nothing nefarious or uncommon about an active JTAG interface,
especially on an expensive, warrantee-covered server product that may at some
point in its useful life be sent back to Dell for repair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Test_Action_Group

JTAG is a very common debugging and configuration port/interface that is used
on all sorts of microchips and embedded systems. Sometimes there is an actual
pinned header on the Printed Circuit Board but even if it is missing or
covered, the JTAG circuitry can still be accessed on common pins or traces
somewhere on the board. On a Dell motherboard there are probably dozens of JTAG
and other debug pins… which could probably be used for various purposes, but
it’s impossible to eliminate or turn off availability of this kind, they are
inherent to the functionality of the device. Some manufacturers do obfuscate
and encapsulate sensitive components of their machines (i.e., on military
parts), but as with anything, physical access == ownership of hardware.

(I am a hardware  technician and have used JTAG and similar functionality to
debug and repair electronic equipment in the field.)

Thank you for your work, …quite eye opening. Pretty much, if something can be
done, it has and will be done, by somebody out there.

Isaac Gorton
Spokane, WA
ibgor...@gmail.com