On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Jacob Appelbaum <ja...@appelbaum.net>wrote:

> Kevin W. Wall:
> > On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 3:10 PM, John Young <j...@pipeline.com> wrote:
> >
> >> 30c3 slides from Jacob Appelbaum:
> >>
> >> http://cryptome.org/2013/12/appelbaum-30c3.pdf (3.8MB)
> >>

> > And you can find his actual prez here:
> > <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0w36GAyZIA>
> >
> > Worth the hour, although I'm sure your blood
> > pressure will go up a few points.
> >

> I'm also happy to answer questions in discussion form about the content
> of the talk and so on. I believe we've now released quite a lot of
> useful information that is deeply in the public interest.

Jacob,

Okay, here's a question for you that I hope you
can answer. Unfortunately, it may be a little OT
for this list, so I apologize for that in advance.

In your talk, you mentioned about the "interdiction"
that the NSA was using on laptops ordered online.

I'm assuming it would be too expensive and of little
return for them to do that on all laptops ordered
online, so likely they are only doing this for
certain targeted individuals.

If indeed that is the case, my question is, do you
have any idea of how common this interdiction
practice is and how they pull it off? Specifically,
with respect to the "how" part, I mean how do they
learn of a person of interest ordering a new laptop
online to begin with? If it is via the POI's already
compromised system, that is one thing, but if they
are doing this via snooping on all the orders of all
vendors who handle online laptop orders, that is
much more disturbing.

Informed speculation is okay as well, although we
would appreciate stating it as such.

Thanks in advance for your response,
-kevin
NSA: All your crypto bit are belong to us.