-Caveat Lector-

On 18 Dec 98 , Alamaine wrote:

> It's as though the sea anchor has been let out and everyone's just gonna
> ride out the storm, checking the knots and wind direction every so often
> .. I agree with Billio:  it's like a fiction with a random plot ...
>
> There was a movie some years back in which the main portion of the cast
> would travel through time just to witness disasters -- as if on a tour.
> Can't remember the name.  It's like that:  just hanging around to see what
> the next plot twist will be, which disaster is next on the intinerary.

I listened to the "debates" for most of the day and heard many, many
impassioned statements against impeachment.  Many democrats were
virtually "begging" for the right to vote on censure, which the
Republican majority kept insisting could not be considered because it
was "unConstitutional." The passion on the part of the democrats was
really heartening--as the Republican stone wall was frightening. . Of
course, the media (NBC) is barely reflecting the democratic
opposition, the NYTimes today called for Clinton's resignation on
its editorial page,  and Americans are not watching Desert Fox the
way they watched the pyrotechnics of Desert Storm--which the media
seems to be trivializing, discounting,  and which they are not really
presenting to the public in anything like the same way.

We do, indeed, live in interesting times. I wish I felt as confident
as you that we could just "ride out" the storm. Why do I have the
feeling that we will be pulled into the vortex by a Republican
majority that has already expressed its deepest contempt for the
majority of the American people.

sno0wl