From:   Mike Taylor, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>I know I posed this question but don't I remember that H&SE inspectors also
>have a right of entry under certain conditions.  I also remember being told
>that some police officers are registered as H&SE inspectors just to
>facilitate this but this could be total moonshine.

I think you are correct. The police are empowered as HSE inspectors
under the Control of Explosives Order (year unknown). Colin Greenwood
wrote quite a lot about it in Guns Review.

If they have grounds for suspicion that there is any propellant, black
powder, fireworks, loaded ammunition, primers and probably other
explosives, they have right of entry without a warrant. The property
owner/occupier can refuse entry but that is an offence in itself. They
can enter property, take samples, seize documents and pretty well do as
they like. I also seem to recall that they can ask questions of a man's
wife (about her husband) which she is compelled to answer. Normally a
wife cannot be compelled to testify against her husband.
--
This doesn't sound right to me, my house was searched by the
police looking for explosives and they had a warrant.

Primers, fireworks, ammunition and smokeless powder don't require an
explosives license unless you have sizable quantities.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]