From:   "Derek Bernard", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>I can believe that once the dogs actually catch the fox,
>it'll be finished off quickly, but the chase itself has to
>be extremely stressful.  Cage traps don't strike me as any
>better either, possibly worse.

>Stuart Heal

I am not a hunter and probably never will be (since I couldn't pull the
trigger on the one occasion that I went out intending to shoot rabbits), but
I will travel from Jersey to be in the March in March because I support
individual freedom of choice and am very worried about the strong long-term
trend away from it and towards irrational and dictatorial political
correctness over the past several decades.

To me, freedom (in this context) essentially means tolerance; making no
attempt (other than moderate, non-coersive persuasion) to stop others doing
things which I do NOT wish to do, or do not like or approve, or even
positively dislike.

Yes, there are limits to the "things".  They exclude using force or
coercion, as well as doing hurt or damage, of a sustained or material and
measurable order, to other humans without their permission or knowledge.
But the all-pervasive power of Government and Government agencies worries me
massively more than individual criminal activities.

Like millions of others, we love our domestic pets dearly, treat them as
members of the family and talk to them as though their thinking processes
were very similar to our own.  But it is a very substantially false analogy
(even with primates & dolphins, the thinking & conceptual process would
appear to have only the most dim and distant relationship to humans).

To visualise that a chased fox, or other animal, is going through the mental
torment of anticipating capture and being beaten and killed that a human
being chased would be, is simply not supported by our knowledge of animal
physiology.

To me these unsound analogies are seriously inadequate as a basis for
criminalising the activities of others.

Derek Bernard

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.