"Trei, Peter" wrote:

<<US don't want dollar coins>>

> Just about a
> year ago, they tried again, with the 'Sacagawea' or 'Golden Dollar'.
> This is a very handsome coin, gold in color, but it was the same size
> as a SBA dollar (to fit the machines). You can still confuse it with a
> quarter in your pocket or in the dark. It's been months since I've seen
> one.

I've seen exactly two Sac coins, both right after they were introduced.
I gave one to my son to save and one to an amateur collector.

http://www.projo.com/business/content/projo_20020408_saca8.393c59d9.html
says the US Mint has cut back on production because "people just aren't
interested". Speaking for myself and a few friends and relations, we'd
be perfectly happy to use them, if they were available.

C-punks relevance: People aren't as uninterested in new currencies as
our appointed masters think. e-money might catch on if it were
convenient and not blatantly illegal.

--
Steve Furlong    Computer Condottiere   Have GNU, Will Travel

progress depends on the unreasonable man.  -- George Bernard Shaw