For some reason the mention of a "Susan B Anthony" dollar stuck in my
brain as an "Alice B Sheldon" dollar. Susan Anthony is a person who I've
never heard of. I'm almost tempted not to find out who she is or was to
preserve a nugget of delicious cognitive dissonance. A world in which
governments put Alice Sheldon on the currency would be an interestingly
different world from the one we seem to be inhabiting.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 10 Apr 2002 at 13:43, Sunder wrote:

> > I've had several dozen of these (stamp and other vending machines provided
> > them as change here in NYC), and kept only one.

> You're not supposed to keep currency, you're supposed to spend it.
> I generally prefer the bills to coins, because the coins make an
> annoying jjingle jangle and also wear out my pockets.

> >They're horrible.  Sure,
> > they look like gold when you get them but they oxidize quickly when
> > handled and look worse than old pennies.

> > Serves the mint right for trying to pass what clearly is a slap in the
> > face of anyone who remembers that the US currency was at one time
> > tethered to actual gold.

> Now that everyone knows that even coins are only of symbolic
> value, I don't see why they don't make them out of plastic.

Because symbols work better when they bear certain kinds of resemblance
to what they are symbolising? Human brains are hard-wired that way.
Plastic money doesn't twang the right neural circuits. Who would care
for non-alcoholic communion wine?

[...]

Anyway, no-one has yet come up with a convincing reason for me to want
to carry any kind of electronic wallet for small transactions. Anything
under, say, 50 dollars American, is more easily done in physical cash
money.   If nothing else the irritation that you'd go through when you
lose one and have to get another makes it not worth it. If I lose coins
I lose the value of the coin and nothing else.  If I lose a bank  card
it ruins my day.  Even if the card was only good for 50 quid I still
have to jump through hoops to get a new one.

Obviously smart cash might make sense as public transport tickets, or as
a prepaid hotel bill (to hotel owners at any rate), and smart-card
applications for these things have been developing for decades. (We
certainly were issued with something like them at the hotel for the 1989
Eastercon in UK - which I only remember because it was the last I went
to for some years, they might have been around much earlier)  But in
general street use - why bother? Even if these putative electronic
wallets were as easy to get hold of as cash (walk up to a machine any
time of day or night, stick in some id, type in PIN, walk off) you might
as well just use cash.

I suppose they could be of benefit to the operators of ATMs. The one at
the all-night filling station round the corner from me seems to be have
someone using it every ten minutes or so in the late evening. So, at a
wild guess, the stock level might be between 5 and 10 thousand pounds.
That's getting towards where it might pay someone to use heavy machinery
to get it out of the wall.  Even if it splurts itself with ink (there
are a lot of stupid criminals out there) that is still very inconvenient
for the building owners.

But there's nothing in it for the user. An initially valueless smart
wallet might be less attractive to muggers, but they just have to wait
for you to activate it. Or point a knife at you till you do. And the
more faffing about you need to do (PIN, setting authorisation limits,
pointing the thing at the reader) the more old-fashioned cash would seem
simpler.

Now, using a mobile phone as money might sell. People seem determined to
use them for everything else. If there was a way of transferring prepay
directly between SIMs it would be used by teenagers (and drug dealers)
to settle small debts. Maybe they already are and I haven't noticed.

Ken Brown

And her smoke goes up for ever:
http://www.mtsu.edu/~dlavery/Tiptree/clute.htm