At 10:56 AM 12/7/02 -0800, Morlock Elloi wrote:
>This, with obligatory cameras in cybercafes, is just plugging the
anonymity
>holes.

Yep.

>Also, one of unmentioned consenquences is that any "security" will make

>self-organising networks harder to implement. Guess who benefits.
>
>But we will always have phone booths and acoustic couplers.

Phone booths already don't accept calls, by State Fiat.  You think
detecting and dropping modem calls
from a CO is tough?

I'm waiting for it to be a PATRIOT offense for using an antennae to hit
a cellular basestation other than
the nearest one an omni would hit.  Or to be operating a motor vehicle
on a public road
with an operating computer with an 802.11 card.  Or photographing any
federal building or official.

At least the tragicomicretins in
http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,56742,00.html
invented the cool new acronym: TAP,  "terrorist access points".  This is
a concise (if hysterical
in both senses) Spec of a useful system.  If its good enough for
Everyone, its good enough for the Horsemen.
If its not a TAP, you might as well paint a friggin bullseye on your
back.

---
Orwell was an optimist.