On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 10:56:14AM -0800, Morlock Elloi wrote:

> But we will always have phone booths and acoustic couplers.

        Not around Boston.   I got attacked by a script kiddie with the
kloged trojan on Thanksgiving morning at 5 AM and had occasion to need
to make a couple of out of state calls related to cleaning up the mess..

        So I tried the nearest phone booth.   Put the money in and
dialed the number - got a reorder.

        So I tried 12 more phone booths (mostly in a cluster of 8) and
got "we are unable to complete your call as dialed - please check the
number and try again or ask your operator for assistance". The phones
that did not provide this message all gave reorders or no ringback
(silence).

        So out of 12-14 payphones I tried at 5 locations including the
fancy public library in the wealthiest town in Mass I was able to find
none that would connect an out of state coin call (versus credit card or
prepaid card calls).   Several would connect local coin calls - I
checked.

        I did verify that this was not related to the numbers I was
dialling, trying various random out of state (and out of LATA) numbers
gave the same exact results.

        Thus it seems that at least around the wealthy Boston suburbs
they have already made it impossible to make a long distance coin
call, and one presumes this is for obvious reasons...

        We are closer to the police state that everyone fears than
we know....

--
        Dave Emery N1PRE,  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2  5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18