Hi,

At the risk of tooting our own horn, we have built a system for such
smartphone/SMS based data collection, based on OpenDataKit, at
http://www.fieldata.org . Anyone can register at the site, and the base
tier is free of cost.

Please do note the disclaimer that Fieldata is a commercial venture, and I
have a stake in it.

Regards,
Gora