In Akshara's experience, because we devolve data collection to the
teachers themselves and have no real control over them, giving them
smartphones would be risky for us because we'd probably lose many of
them. Also, with paper, the replacement cost and time is easy and it
is a known work flow for most government institutions - stamps, seals,
signatures and what not. Lastly, we currently have a error rate of
paper to digital transcription under 0.5% because our data entry work
flow uses a double entry system. Also, at the scale we operate at,
phone devices are expensive and it's much easier to scale paper and
data entry operators.