Hi

Data is still collected using pen and paper in most cases. The spreadsheet
comes in when the data management part comes in. In most cases, electronic
input devices can't straightaway replace this because of a number of factors
1. Data collectors may not be used to using computers/tablets etc.. Smart
phone use with active internet usage is quite low.
2. Giving each data collector a device may not be possible given the costs
involved.
3. NGOs typically don't have capacity to manage data, leave alone web based
apps, tablets etc. Even if they all have android smartphones, someone needs
to design a good database. This capacity is also quite rare.
4. Design of questionnaires is also often not done very well, so that you
can't predict that the responses will always be from a predefined list etc.

The fundamental issue is the capacity to handle data from design to
analysis and presentation. The android tech part is one piece of the
puzzle. I see the fieldata type of initiatives helping solve part of the
problem. Data literacy is a more urgently needed input.

I do agree that android devices and associated tech such as opendatakit
have helped bring down the cost to a potential adopter. However, most NGOs
are unlikely to have any budget allocation towards data collection devices,
unless they do a lot of surveys.

As Nisha has mentioned, this is a first post in a series. We will be
covering other aspects such as technology adoption as well. If any of you
has any already documented cases on using opendatakit or any other such app
we could benefit from your sharing the experience.

Regards
Bala