Just a quick question on the topic.  How far are you willing to go (or
willing to let DBD authors go) to support the API you're planning?  For
example, Postgres has a SERIAL psuedo-type that really just creates a
sequence behind the scenes for you.  I currently get the "last insert id"
using DBD::Pg by querying what I know is the auto-generated sequence name
("<tablename>_<columnname>_seq")  Would it be reasonable for DBD::Pg to do
this for me behind the scenes in order to service the proposed new API, or
would that be frowned upon (because it has to run another query, or because
it "guesses" the name of the sequence, or some other reason)?

-John