On 3/9/03 3:21 PM, Tim Bunce wrote:
> For postgres the "<tablename>_<columnname>_seq" name is part of the core
> system so there's really no "guessing" going on (as I understand it).

That's only true for the SERIAL pseudo-type's auto-generated sequences.  A
table could have its primary key column default to the next value from any
sequence under any name, in which case the DBD would really have no way of
knowing which sequence contains the "last insert id" (unless it wants to get
funky with Postgres's table introspection abilities, I guess).

Anyway, I'd be happy even if only the common case of a SERIAL primary key
was handled, but I don't see a good general-purpose solution to the problem.

-John