At 9:35 AM +0200 8/3/04, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
John Siracusa wrote:
The tied(?) hash interfaces in DBI grate on me. You know,
$dbh->{'RaiseError'}, $sth->{'Active'}, and all that jazz.  I'd sorely like
to see these change to normal methods with more Perl-ish names:
   $dbh->raise_error(0);
   $sth->active;
   $sth->ix_cursor_with_hold(1);

That gains absolutely *no* functionality for the burden of loosing compatibility. Besides, we obviously have different feelings, what's "Perl-ish" or not. Please, don't.
Jochen

Unless interface redundancy is bad, I don't see why we can't add the methods that John mentioned, while also keeping the old tied interfaces. This way, people can write consistently to a method-based API if they want, *and* old programs won't break. Sure, ties are Perlish, but despite that it is good to have interface consistency within your options. -- Darren Duncan