I was not aware of the risk of select hanging due to a signal coming in before
select can set its timer.  Has anyone on this list ever been bitten by such a
thing?  Is Perl vulnerable to this situation or is it taken care of
internally?  The
situation described would turn a nonblocking select call into an
indefinately blocking
select, but it sounds unlikely to occur in practice, and would only
matter when none of
the pipes are readable anyway.  If one uses wait or waitpid rather
than redefining
$SIG{CHLD} is one vulnerable?

Should I set up an asynchronous DBI mailing list for discussion of
asynchronous DBI
or should discussion continue here on dbi-dev?  (now I'm talking crazy)

--
David L Nicol
IT Consulting since 1986