Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>> I know that not everyone is in to IRC and I for one have only flirted
>> with it over the years but for the last 6 months or so I've frequented
>> the #dbi channel and there are a number of knowledgeable and helpful
>> people on it but there is a low representation from DBD authors/maintainers.
>
> You failed to mention what IRC server? I'm presuming /not/ freenode, but if
> ain't freenode, it's unlikely you'll get a lot of people, DBD authors or
> otherwise.

It is irc.perl.org (magnet) as Jens has already replied with and I don't
see why if it is not freenode it is a gonna.

> I also think DBI is a bit of a specialized topic,

I don't fully agree with this. Based on the number of emails I get to my
CPAN address I would say DBDs are used a lot and the development of DBDs
is important to many people using them.

One of the problems I've had throughout maintainership of DBD::ODBC is
finding enough people to test it with different ODBC Drivers (something
other DBD maintainers don't have the same problem with since there is
only one [or a few]).

The irc channel has helped me find other areas to broadcast new
development releases and find potential testers.

> but the only
> alternative is #perl, which is way too busy.

I agree, #perl is too busy.

> Of course, people also get
> DBI/DBD help on the friendly database channels such as #mysql and #postgresql.

Which is great but I was talking about DBI/DBD development not problems
with DBDs.

Trying very hard to keep level headed about this I am finding myself
under increasing pressure via rt reports and emails to my cpan address
to cope with all the issues in DBD::ODBC. Not that I am saying other DBD
authors/maintainers have an easier time (because I don't know) but
DBD::ODBC is a little unusual in that there are dozens of drivers that
may be used under DBD::ODBC which differs from most DBDs. I've found the
knowledge and helpfulness of others on #dbi to be useful and lessen the
burden of maintaining a DBD and it is obvious to me that if more DBD
authors/maintainers were on it we could be more helpful to each other.

There is obviously no requirement to be on #dbi but in the spirit of
helping each other I thought it was useful to remind people about it. No
big deal, just thought it was worth reminding people about #dbi and that
it can be a useful resource.

Martin